Los Angeles

No matter where in the State of California you have been injured, a Los Angeles lawyer can still help you because they practice state-wide. A lawyer that cares about you, for whom clients are their top priority, is preferred. They should do everything in their power to make sure that you are treated fairly and receive the correct amount of compensation. Of course, there is no correct amount, as it all depends on how you calculate it. But the amount should be fair to you, and cover all your damages, including medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and even emotional distress, if you did have that. If they have obtained settlements of 6 figures or 7 figures, that's even better because that indicates they know what they are doing. Get in touch with a Los Angeles car accident attorney right away. While many victims of car accidents may think that they can file a lawsuit on their own, the risk of making mistakes is just too great. If you make a mistake, it can cost you the case, and it cannot be undone.

Most of the time, you can tell who is guilty of negligence in a car accident case by using your common sense. For example, if someone broke a traffic law, then he was negligent. If someone was talking on the phone, or if he was intoxicated while driving, then he was negligent. If you could find official sources of evidence to support your claim, you will have a much better chance of succeeding with your case.

If the police were called and showed up to the scene of the accident, then there is a good chance that they made a written report about the accident. Try to contact the police department and find out how you can obtain a copy. Read the report to see if it states who was at fault. There are times when the report states that you violated a traffic law and your violation is what caused the accident. Other times, it is not so specific. A specific violation, which is also dangerous (for example, running a red light, or driving 100 miles per hour) can make or break your case because they clearly establish liability.

If you were rear ended, it is almost always not your fault. The vehicle behind you is supposed to keep a safe distance from you at all times. Therefore, no matter why you stopped, if someone hits you from behind, then you have almost definitely have a valid case and you can start talking to their insurance carrier. However, you don't want to do this alone, you will need to speak with a car accident attorney.

However, if you see the site of this car accident lawyer in Los Angeles, you will read a few interesting points. You should also keep in mind that in certain rear end collisions, your own recklessness may lead to a lower compensation that your damages. Insurance companies may argue that you were 40% at fault and the other party was 60% at fault. Therefore, if your damages added up to $100, they will compensate you only $60 and you are on your own for the other $40. For example, if your back taillights were not working, causing the collision, then you may be partially at fault for not fixing the light.

Last but not least, keep in mind that just because a court finds the driver at fault, that doesn't mean that you are going to get paid. If their policy limit is less than your damages, or if they have no insurance coverage at all, then you will have to go after the driver personally. Unfortunately, someone who has no coverage is not likely to have assets. They may not even have a job for you to go after their wages. Make sure you are aware of this before pursuing a lawsuit.